Merit Badge Counselor Renewal
New in 2021 is an online option to re-register as as a Merit Badge Counselor for the Heart of America Council. Please note, this is ONLY to re-register for 2021. (You must be currently registered as a counselor to use the below renewal.) All new counselors will need to follow the below steps to register as a new counselor.
HOAC will only be accepting online renewals this year. Each counselor will receive an email with a renewal reminder. Please only submit one online renewal and inform your troop leadership of the badges you will counsel.
Renew as a 2021 Merit Badge Counselor Here
Steps to Become a Counselor
All Merit Badge Counselors must be registered members of the Boy Scouts of America. Even if you are already registered in another position, you must still complete a BSA Adult Application #524-501 form with the Position Code “42” (no charge). Note: Effective April 1, 2003, the Social Security Number on all adults is required by the National Boy Scouts of America. Send this form, along with the BSA Adult Application form to the Heart of America Council, 10210 Holmes Rd, Kansas City, MO 64131-4212.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be proficient in the merit badge subject by vocation or avocation.
- Be able to work with Scout-age youth.
- Be registered as a Merit Badge Counselor with the Boy Scouts of America. (Submit Adult BSA Application with your Merit Badge Counselor Application.)
- Complete Youth Protection Training
The Scout Handbook instructs the Scout to meet with you, before they start to establish a mutual understanding of the requirements and their commitment to complete those requirements.
By signing the back of this form, you agree to the following standards:
As a Merit Badge Counselor, I will:
- Examine the latest revision of the BSA Merit Badge pamphlet of each Merit Badge.
- Require the Scout to complete all and only all of the requirements.
- Counsel the Scout to:
- Keep their appointment.
- Be in uniform.
- Bring a legible filled out Merit Badge Card signed in ink by their unit leader or designee.
- In keeping with BSA Youth Protection Guidelines, have multiple Scouts/Adults at every counseling session.
Notify the District Advancement Chair if I can’t serve as a Merit Badge Counselor any longer this year.
Renew my merit badge application every year. If I let my membership lapse, I will complete a new BSA Adult Application for Merit Badge Counseling.
Email Jeff Tyler if you wish to change the list of badges you counsel.
Merit Badge Counselor Applications